This position is accountable to perform a variety of clerical, reception, coding, and support functions that will ensure timely and effective day-to-day operations and communications regarding outpatient imaging for a multi-disciplinary clinical facility. This includes answering telephones, greeting patients, entering orders, scheduling, maintaining records, monitoring flow and relaying accurate information. Additionally, the scheduling coordinator supports the values and clinical initiatives of the practice and demonstrates a commitment of quality service to our patients and their families, the community, the physicians, and our associates.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Receives inbound calls requesting appointments. Schedules patients for procedures and appointments at Virginia lnterventional and Vascular Associates and Mary Washington Healthcare.
2. Contacts patients/guarantors to communicate requirements under certain insurance plans and reminds patient of co-payment obligations.
3. Serves as the liaison to the patient/guarantor, insurance company, and physician office to ensure all necessary approvals for services rendered and received are documented appropriately.
4. Makes outgoing appointment confirmation calls to patients. Patient instructions prior to appointments. Monitors the automated appointment reminder system and manages the appointment schedule accordingly.
5. Performs basic administrative functions within the office (processes medical record requests, prints postage, etc).
6. Ensures that the correct CPT and ICD-9 (10) codes, patient and insurance demographics, pre-authorization’s, as well as referring, reading and attending physician information is complete and correct on all charge requisitions.
7. Prepare charts to ensure proper documentation is included prior to upcoming appointments..
8. Enters all necessary pre-authorization documentation into the applicable information system to ensure correct transfer of information for billing, and efficient follow-up with patients/guarantors and third-party payers. (N/A).
9. Creates an atmosphere that promotes customer service excellence. Resolves or escalates customer complaints in a timely manner.
10. Guarantees that all files are maintained in a secure setting.
11. Performs scheduling duties and maintains competency as evidenced by an initial and annual performance appraisal. Adheres to departmental policies, procedures, standards, and protocols to ensure effective departmental operations and quality patient care. Demonstrates a high degree of knowledge and understanding of Support Services/activities.
12. Communicates with all patients, visitors, family members, physicians, and associates in a courteous and professional manner. Addresses customers’ needs efficiently, effectively,, and confidentially.. Provide physical assistance if necessary and assists patient in completing required paperwork.
13. Answers telephones courteously and professionally by the third ring. Screens and transfers telephone calls or takes messages as appropriate to facilitate effective communications. Delivers messages in a timely manner.
14. Maintains an organized and efficient work area.
15. Participates in performance improvement activities that are prescribed for the receptionist position.
16. Remains proficient in the use of Information Management systems as needed.
17. Utilizes information and communication technologies effectively and in accordance with HIPAA standards. Maintains and ensures patient confidentiality.
Additional duties to include special reports and projects as needed Qualifications:
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Minimum of two years related experience in patient registration, patient accounts or patient billing preferred.
3. Working knowledge of CPT and ICD-9 coding and insurance terminology strongly preferred.
4. Ability to work with physicians, staff, and patients in a confidential and efficient manner.
5. Strong working knowledge of MS Office to include Word, Excel and Outlook.
6. Proven track record of excellent customer service and attention to detail.
7. Basic office skills such as faxing, copying, and filing.
8. Experience answering a multi-line phone system is preferred.
9. May require travel to other VIVA locations.